Or should I say, Animes that I’ve liked, so far ? My definition of favorite is something that a person likes to do, read, and watch ( and enjoy ) over and over again. I have such favorites, actually. Full Metal Alchemist, for one. I watched it 3 times, and enjoyed watching it every time. Hunter x Hunter is another. Sadly , it’s not completed yet, and I doubt it ever will. The author has a reputation of going on a looong hiatus, and more often than not, his works never get completed. So, what else are my favorites, so far ? Moribito, Charlotte, Noragami…… oh, alright, I’ll list it down :
- Full Metal Alchemist
- . Hunter x Hunter
- Hiiro no Kakera
- Akagami no Shiyaruki-hime ( Snow White with Red Hair )
- Aoi Exorcist ( Blue Exorcist )
- The Devil is a Part -Timer
- Attack on Titan
- Ghost Hunt
- Hell Girl
- Full Metal Panic
- Akatsuki no Yona ( Yona of the Dawn )
- Kamisama wo Hajimemashita ( Kamisama Kiss)
- The Seven Deadly Sins ( a Netflix original )
- Kotoura -san ( so cute ! )
I’m sure I have other favorites but those in the list are the only ones that I remember watching at least 2 times.
There are more that I actually like, but due to personal bias , I don’t think I will ever watch it again, except those that are not yet complete, and therefore , redeemable.
- Sword Art Online. I was liking this anime until Kirito, the main guy, formed a harem, and at one point, denied he had a girlfriend ( Asuna ) when asked by the girl , who was his virtual reality video game partner, if he had one. What’s worse, Asuna was right there, within hearing distance. What a jerk. I lost my admiration for this ” super” hero of video games, and though they did end up together, he’s a potential cheater. This is also the reason why I couldn’t like Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of Star Wars. I felt no empathy whatsoever for the young Darth Vader. Everyone knows how he’s going to turn out in the future. He is going to blow up planet Earth. Does the comparison make sense ? Or, is it over the top ? In my book, they are comparable. It doesn’t matter that one devastates a planet, and the other , just one human being.
- Inuyasha . I like this one very much. The fight scenes are awesome. I like all the characters, even Inuyasha’s older brother, but obviously, not the villains. What is not to like in Inuyasha ? Ironically, it’s Inuyasha himself that I don’t like. I’m not faulting his character, but I totally sympathize with Kagome, the main character. Inuyasha rejects her for his dead lover, who , in this story, has been resurrected , entirely made of clay, and is only alive by absorbing the spirits of dead people. What hurts is that despite the fact that his former lover is a corpse, he still prefers to be with her instead of the very much alive sweet, kind, and lovely Kagome.. I was like “ Good luck with that, Inuyasha. And you, sweet Kagome, should go back to your era, be with your family who loves you, and with that cute classmate who is head over heels for you.” I find it almost tragic to have gone back to an era where monsters exist, and to the person who is probably 500 years old and half- monster, half human,to boot, and who , at one point, prefers a dead girl over a living one.
To be honest, I stopped watching animes years ago, when I was still in high school, for the simple reason that the only animes I could watch were the ones we bought. The cost wasn’t something to sneeze at. Just the same, we managed to buy quite a few. I counted 123 titles, mostly box sets. Code Geass, Spice and Wolf, Gantz, Evangelion, Ghost Hunt, Hell Girl, D-Gray man, Gantz, Aquarion, Bleach ( just 163 episodes ), Blood+, xxxHolic, Tsubasa Chronicles, Chobits, Eureka Seven, Ergo Proxy, Baccano, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Death Note , Fate /Stay Night, Haruhi Suzumiya, Gunslinger Girl, Black Lagoon, Black Butler, Berserk, Elflen Lied, Rahxaphone, GundamOO , to name a few. There was no anime channel available, and it was only two years ago when we subscribed to Netflix, ( few anime titles ), and Hulu Plus a few months ago. We got Hulu for the animes.
Anyway I hope you write a comment on what you think of Inuyasha and SAO, and am I unfair on my assessment of the characters of the main protagonists of these 2 animes ? I’d love to read your take on it.
This is all for now, and thank you for reading.